- Summary: The year is 3015. Humanity has colonized thousands of systems across a vast region of space splintered by centuries of conflict. The battlefields of the future are dominated by MechWarriors, elite pilots of hulking machines of war known as BattleMechs.
Please enter your birth date to watch this video:
You are not allowed to view this material at this time.
MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries - PreAlpha Footage
Dec 10, 2019MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries is a return to form. As a fan of the series, it’s been a very long wait, but PGI managed to deliver in a big way on nearly every front. While there are certain things that could be improved, what’s here is an excellent four player mech-stomping good time.
Jan 17, 2020MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries is a big, brash, bulky return to the spotlight for the mainline MechWarrior franchise that delivers on its promise of a more sim-like experience than many of its contemporaries. While it can be frustrating to get caught up in economic repair micromanagement, most of your enmity will be blown away when the robots start to rumble.
Jan 8, 2020The biggest issue with MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries is that it hits you with all of its shortcomings at once. Keep playing, though, and the game establishes itself as a fun title that's worthy of the MechWarrior moniker. Play it with friends, and it becomes even more entertaining. Dated aspects of its presentation aside, the combat remains fun mission after mission, and it continues to test you as you become more powerful. Start blowing apart enemy mechs with a small array of PPC cannons and make a few big pay days, and you'll appreciate the game for what it is.
Dec 20, 2019Mercenaries 5 needed six more months of testing and refinement before seeing the light of day. The game’s mech combat is great for enthusiasts of the genre, but the lack of polish may leave newcomers cold. I recommend it for hardcore fans, but casual players may want to wait for the bugs to be ironed out.
Dec 10, 2019The overworld (your base of operations) is where the Janky mechanics lay. Which feels as if they will just patch or have someone mod in someThe overworld (your base of operations) is where the Janky mechanics lay. Which feels as if they will just patch or have someone mod in some better animations. Negotiations feel like HBS style Salvage but you definitely make less than you do there. The Combat itself is heavy, there are a few bugs to fix but nothing Mahir. I am giving it such a high review because the potential Is there. In a couple of months once mod tools are out, this game will change gaming for the better. Hopefully a new generation will appreciate combat in Mechwarrior… Expand
Dec 11, 2019Gotta weigh in here. I have played Mech Warrior Online 60+ hours and BattleMech 80+ hours and this new addition to the Battlemech /Gotta weigh in here. I have played Mech Warrior Online 60+ hours and BattleMech 80+ hours and this new addition to the Battlemech / Mechwarrior experience is essential. Some people are saying this game is average. I do not agree.
There are definitely aspects that could use improvement! I literally am waiting on baited breath with fingers crossed that we get expansions, DLC, or even just QOL updates for this title.
Because it is SO FUN to play. When there is 12 plus bogies on the screen and you are assaulting a base in a Blackjack trying to lay down the suppression fire long enough while sniping turrets and helicopters for your three AI controlled lancemates to help you pull through it is TENSE.
The physical experience of switching from a Blackjack to a Vindicator is so impactful! On paper they really are not that much different. In piloting the different loadouts and weapons make you feel like you are piloting a different mech. This is so downplayed by the two other titles.
Your skill as a pilot here really helps you out.
MWO dosen't quite have the longevity of a mercenary comapny. The MWO experience is similiar to this (though not nearly as impactful) but it feels like a skirmish simulator and while online with big battles it just dosen't hold my interest (not to mention the grind is high). In addition it's really hard to be tactical because you get smoked SO FAST by huge groups of players. It's very chaotic and (for me at least) boils down to very basic tactics you have to adhere to to not get dog-piled cored. BATTLEMECH is great in it's own rights but you don't have as strong as a visceral experience due to it being a slow paced top down tactics game (which I love but I don't feel like I am a pilot, more a general commanding troops).
Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries blends the two into a sublime balance.
It's not perfect across the board and could use some fine tuning so I give it a 9 instead of a ten.
I hope it continues to get some more development love because I am having a blast and I think anybody who enjoys MWO and BATTLEMECH is missing out if they don't give this game the chance it deserves. With any upcoming soft tweaks it's an easy 10 for sure, 11+ with any future additions to the core gameplay.… Expand
Dec 11, 2019I have played first 4 missions before writing this review. First Good News: Combat is solid. But not as good ad MWO... Merc. Action - microI have played first 4 missions before writing this review. First Good News: Combat is solid. But not as good ad MWO... Merc. Action - micro management - reputation system Mech Lab- Salvage are good. Locations are "varied" and looks pretty good. Real time destruction is good and you feel like you are on a giant hulking war machine which is 200 years old. Bad News: Intermission animations.. AWFUL... Really disgusting. I really question the designers and testers if they really saw this intermission phase. Every mission I have to press my urge to go Alt - F4... If someone is reading this "Please... PLEASE remove those phases with a patch. Beyond that, the game is solid. If you are a 40+ Mechwarrior fan you will like it.… Expand
Dec 15, 2019I've been a huge fan of Mechwarrior type games since I saw the opening intros in Mechwarrior 2. Graphically, I enjoy this game and to pilot aI've been a huge fan of Mechwarrior type games since I saw the opening intros in Mechwarrior 2. Graphically, I enjoy this game and to pilot a mech was great but I found some major issues in this game that can be resolved by the developers.
1. Load-out. I really miss being able to replace a medium laser with a L Laser but unfortunately, you can't in this game as you are restricted based upon the 'size' of the weapon and what type of hardpoint. In other mechwarrior type games, you are mostly restricted based upon the type of hardpoint and are mostly limited by the tonnage of your mech. I hope in the future the size will be removed.
2. Spawning. I had an enemy tank spawn pretty close to me (I'm guessing about 5 miles) while destroying a base.
3. Graphically. I like the game.
4. storyline / game content - You're a mercenary, there's going to be a lot of missions that will be similar.… Expand
Dec 21, 2019Feels like the absolute minimum needed to call this a mechwarrior game. After about 5-6 hours you've pretty much done everything the game hasFeels like the absolute minimum needed to call this a mechwarrior game. After about 5-6 hours you've pretty much done everything the game has to offer. -2 points for lack of promised VR support and being an epic exclusive.… Expand
Dec 21, 2019first of all how on earth is noone actually talking about whether this is actually MechWarrior or not? This most definitely is not it is morefirst of all how on earth is noone actually talking about whether this is actually MechWarrior or not? This most definitely is not it is more like a kids version. Clearly this IP has been absent long enough none of these kids really knows what real MechWarrior is like. With the reviews, there are Oooh I love it’s and Oooh I hate it because of the lack of graphics etc.. I have all of the MechWarrior games and this is not MechWarrior in any way except in name! for starters as the leader of your clan you get all of the scrap/mechs and weapons that survive a sortie from all missions period! and if you are being paid/hired for a job the boss would pay for all damages incurred period! the movement speed is jacked. everything moves at the same speed? how? when a small mech is under you and you cannot shoot them and they can easily kill you. so if that is the case you should be able to plow them over like the tanks etc... these is only a few tiny things. then there are many larger flaws. For instance where are the different armors reflective ablative etc? where? where is the options to choosing engine types this helps shed tonnage and increase speed etc? where are the different skeleton metal types also for tonnage requisites? open slots should allow for any weapon type to fit in any slot that those slot types allow. so if I want to shed armor to increase my amount of weapons it is not allowed!!? no chaffs? hmn? or overheating in an ice biome ROFL just... no! the weapon fire is almost indiscernible from one another except the obvious AC vs laser. and the lasers and missiles are nothing to write home about they look awful. From what I have seen the missile types are missing several. radar is borked! theres so many things .. um there is no local LAN play? a key component to Mechwarrior! ? RORL .. there is no auto lock limb targeting - where is it? I mean…………………ARRGH! what the F is this abomination? I may not be 100% correct but anyone who has played MechWarrior knows this stuff. So talking about ooh.. i'm mad because is strictly an exclusive to epic or cry the graphics aren’t absolutely awesome, that is ridiculous who cares! Where is mechwarrior 5 at? I will keep playing MechWarrior 4 black knight instead of this. Ill get a refund. Perhaps they will fix this mess in future updates but I do not see it happening. Which is too bad as many of us have been waiting a long time.… Expand
Dec 22, 2019I buyed it thinking it would be as good as Mechwarrior 2, 3 and 4. After 50 hours of gameplay I can't describe how disappointed I am. HereI buyed it thinking it would be as good as Mechwarrior 2, 3 and 4. After 50 hours of gameplay I can't describe how disappointed I am. Here goes my thoughts about it.
What I liked:
- Mechs are well crafted showing a good graphical upgrade compared with MW4.
- Many elements of the terrain are destructable.
- See your mechs on the hangar is cool.
- Procedural generated maps, although sometimes you can see its tiles in its zoomed map.
Now what I dont liked:
- Nothing against the story, but it was poorly told. The initial cutscene when you lost your father was short and seems a bit improvised.
- Voice acting remenber me a telemarketing call with no emotion and empty dialogs.
- The mechbay is static and lifeless.
- Ryana Campbell should be fired? She is a command officer who never know from where your enemies are comming, how many they are or their ETA of arrival. Useless.
- Enemy Mechs with a destroyed leg can run at full speed. Amazing!!!
- No passive sensors to allow you to stealth your movements from your enemies when at distance.
- Mech's shy customization. Almost near to none.
- Mech Cold Storage has a limit of 50 mechs so sooner or later you will be forced to sell some and keep others.
- Biomes pratically dont affect your mech's ability to sink heat.
- No option to use a ferro, reactive or reflective Armor like in previous games.
- The missions are uninteresting, repetetive, and boring.
- No recon or escort missions. What renders lighter mechs to be useless at end game.
- The music.
- Enemies spawn from anywhere, even at your side or behind your mech. They are not dropped there, they just spawn.
- Your hired AI Mechwarriors run over builds they are suposed to protect.
- The UI is horrible compared to what we saw in the development trailers.
- Missions loading time is high to say the least. And yes, I have a SSD.… Expand